Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Domain names are becoming a universal language?


In a previous article, I decided to see if other languages ​​than English were present in any great numbers as domain names with generic extensions. Com I had four English words, home movies, insurance, travel and translated into French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish and Yiddish. Why Yiddish? I was using a dictionary that has provided about 1956 jobs from all these languages ​​and I thought it might be interesting. After having translated the four words, I tried to register with. Com domain name. To the surprise of no one, the words were not available in all major languages. Two words in yiddish were available, but Yiddish being spoken by fewer than five million people, I decided to go on them.

In this article I got the same four English words and tried to register them in the "ccTLD" (country code Top-Level Domains) in the countries listed above. France, with the domain extension Fr, Germany, represented by the domain extension. De, Italian, Swedish and represented by It, If ... I left out Yiddish. This time I was a bit 'surprised to find not one word was available as a domain name. I do not think he was surprised by the German. De, but I never thought that so many English words used in the two extensions were more restricted, French. Fr and Italian. It. Knowing how the French are touchy about their language I expected less interest for English words. As for Italian, a chart showed it was registered less than two million of times. That means, I believe, a high percentage of English words.

What does this mean? I'm not sure. I'll be the first to admit my methodology was anything but scientific. It does, however, show a great amount of cross-pollination languages ​​that we have never had before. Even languages ​​that have struggled to remain pure are involved. It will be interesting to see what the future holds .......

No comments:

Post a Comment